Friday, November 04, 2005

African American Black Negro

I found this comment: 'I have a problem with the term African American...The word negro is a perfectly good word. There is nothing wrong with that' -- Andy Rooney on Imus 11/4/05, MSNBC, 8:45am ET.

It seems to me that the attempt to classify Blacks in America is a difficult and 'touchy' subject. Depending on who you ask, a different term is in order. There are those who prefer African American, those who prefer Black, those who prefer Negro, and even some who prefer people of color.

When it comes to my personal preference, I refer to myself as a Black American. Ultimately, I'd like to be called a Nigerian-American, or an Ethipian-American, South African American - you get the picture. The problem is that so many American Black people have no genealogy that links them to a nation or a specific African culture. Therefore, such specific identification is imperative.

The term African American is inaccurate because according to modern thought, we all are of an African descent. So, such a term is all inclusvie as well. Black appears to be the most accurate, but even black is a far cry off from describing Black Americans.

Al Sharpton has no problem with the term people of color. I do. People of Color implies that white is the standard, but white is a color as well. I would even contend that the title for the NAACP (National Association for the the Advancement of Colored People) is a bit outdated in that colored is offensive to me.

Regarding the term negro, I just refuse to be labeled as such. That word is to close to n*gger of which I will not be called. Some people prefer negro, but I don't know anyone who does. I will say this. If Andy Rooney ever called me a Negro, I'd probably have to count backwards from 1o.

9 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A. Roony is a whino. He'd probably just gotten back from drinks with Kennedy before that broadcast. S. Atlanta

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a white, straight male, I'm of the opinion that anyone non-white, non-straight and non-male gets to choose which of their labels are in bounds and which are out.

Andy isn't as concerned. If he wasn't so far left, he'd probably lose his job.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger William said...

anon: I think you're right about being in the majority group. It's kind jacked because the same standards seem not to apply to the majority. As a Christian, there are certain things that I am allowed to say while there are others that I am not. Who determines that boundary? Non-Christians. You've gotta love that.

That said, had Rooney been conservative while holding those viewpoints, we'd have to pre-order some embalming fluid.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Mark said...

William, How about I just call you an American? That's how I see you. And a darn good American, too.

If it came down to it, I'd much rather have you fighting beside me in a foxhole than Andy Rooney.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger William said...

Mark: Thanks. And I'd definitely fight bravely because I absolutely love my country.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Goat said...

William that is an incredibly sad stain on America that so many of our citizens particularly black americans have no heritage to look back on, a loss famililial identity, some have but most don't. As a person with a deep family tree,1623 here, and back to the days of William Wallace in Scotland, I cannot claim to know the anguish of that search for identity suffered by so many of our black community. Can I try to learn and grow, yes, as I have over the years. Yes I have a very racist past and as an adult Christian I acknowledge it and search for the path to move forward. I believe regular folks have eliminated racism, in general and it is time for the black community to step up to the task of reformation not victimhood and reparations. William, I am thankfull to the Lord we can have honest conversations about racism in America. Folks like Herman Cain, Star Parker, Thomas Sowell and of course Colin Powell and the astounding Dr. Rice, a product of Bull Conner B'ham. I too am a product of that time, a white male, shamed by Rosa Parks and awakened to a different world that was foriegn to me. I have since celebrated the Lord at the 16 St. Babtist church, favorite ceremony ever, and have since fought racism of any sort. "Though if you tell me you want to kill me I will take you seriously" paraphrasing the words of a holocaust survivor,I take gangbangers and rap 'artists' at their word. Why shouldn't I?

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Alpha Conservative Male said...

Roony is thirty years out of touch. He prefer using the term "negro"lol Did he ever ask blacks what we "prefer"being called. Roony is suppose to be a liberal. Gee, a liberal not following their own politcal correctness? lol

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger William said...

Goat: I do think that it is a sad stain on our culture to think that we have endured such an dark history in our own nation. My mom graduated during the first year of integration, and my aunt grew up in that era as well.

I think that the 'race war' is over but there are indeed smaller battles that still must be won. The racist lithmus test is to ask this question: would you marry someone of another ethnicity, and would you allow your children to do the same? What about a black person? I have found that this question brings the issues to the forefront.

R.Brother: The double standard that liberals expect conservatives to uphold is frustrating. Had Bill O'Reilly said that, things would have been MUCH different!

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Alpha Conservative Male said...

True William, if Rush Limbaugh would have said that. OH MY GOD!!! The media flood gate would have burst open.lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home