Wednesday, October 12, 2005

'Electronic Opium'

I confess. I am a recovering gamehead. I recently read an article entitled 'Are Multiplayer Online Games More Compelling, More Addictive?.' In the article Gregory Lamb discusses the phenomenom of the Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Player Game (MMORPG). Lamb states that literally tens of millions of people worldwide have become addicted to MMORPG because such games allow for the player to live vicariously through their created character.

Now in my case, I have played Star Wars Galaxies, Final Fantasy XI, and World of Warcraft. I would say that my total play time for these three games would definitely be the equivalent of at least one month (and that is extremely modest). Now that's frightening. One month of my life was poured into these games of which have absolutely NO long-term value.

Why are these games so compelling? Nick Yee who has studied online gaming since 1999 and is a graduate student at Stanford University says the following: "For a lot of people, in their real lives they don't get to be a hero. Suddenly, [in the game] they're a cleric who can resurrect a warrior, can save other players. [Or they're a] a wizard who can cast out a rain of fire ... someone with great powers."

It appears that MMORPG grant people some of their greatest desires. It's not about the sorcery, nor is it necessarily about the game itself. It's about the heroism and the respect. It's about the prestige and the opportunities that are available.

I can remember playing World of Warcraft as a Warlock. I used to marvel at the higher leveled Warlocks who were exponentially stronger, and they had obtained their character's high-leveled weaponry. It was definitely an interesting experience. The games are so consuming that I would be in class thinking of what I needed to do on the game for that day. The situation had gotten so bad with these MMORPG for me that I literally prayed to God apologizing for the time that I had lost on such a meaningless kill-time (kill-time because it far surpasses a pass-time).

So what does it appear that millions of people are looking for? People want adventure. They want to be heroes. They want to develop and grow socially. They want to achieve status in groups, yet they want the glory of being an individual. They want responsibilty, and they want a tangible means for the procuration of goods and services.

One thing is certain about these games: they grant the player a sense of purpose. Once we have found our purpose, we will undoubtedly forsake all that is sacred to us in order to obtain this purpose. I used to turn my friends down for outings, I used to skip certain meals, and I would ration my sleep only so that I could achieve more in whichever game I was engulfed in. Show a person purpose, and that person will unquestionable go to great lengths to fulfill his/her destiny.

12 Comments:

At 10:55 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Do you win?

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger William said...

Lol. As you probably know, there are no endings to MMORPG's, so there really isn't an ending. But the small missions, I'm usually good at.

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Goat said...

I have an addictive must win personality so I avoid games or I would never get anything done. I prefer the animating game of Freedom and so I blog,LOL.

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Goat said...

That should really say animated contest of freedom

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Goat said...

Shoot,you know what I mean,LOL. Beer can do that.

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger Poison Pero said...

I had a period of time where I was addicted to Age of Empires......Ugh. Played nightly with others on-line. It was awsome.
-----------
Now my wife bitches I spend to much time on my blogs.....Doh!

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger Cabe said...

I played an MMORPG for a very long time. Reached the maximum level, was a 99 Mage, and made a lot of friends. When I left the game to persue life, they all forgot about me!

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger William said...

Yeah, online games can be opiatic (probably not a word). It's so crazy how they are made for the purpose to suck you in. That said, I'd hate to actually caculate the total time that I have spent playing video games for my entire life. That number could be depressing.

 
At 2:23 AM, Blogger Cabe said...

I hope God forgives me for wasting my life with MMORPG's. I could have been reading my scriptures or other important things.

Sometimes I wonder...if I haven't changed at all. Have I just replaced MMORPG's with Politics? I've done more good I feel, but how much? Just a thought.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger William said...

All I know is that there will always be things that we use to replace the more important ones. I just hope that I am able to discern what those important things are. And, neither MMORPG's nor politics aren't bad in moderation.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Mark said...

I don't play video games so, no, I don't know they never end. I quit playing them long ago when I found I could not beat the CPU in NFL 2000, (X-box) I figure if I can't even beat the CPU, I wouldn't do at all well online.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Goat said...

Hey, I found a blog you will enjoy tracking todays march, http://www.wakeupblackamerica.blogspot.com/, I enjoyed reading it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home