Friday, January 13, 2006

Complaints about the Administration

Rev. Al Sharpton is a man whom I do respect. I respect him because he is able to stand behind a cause while persevering to see the cause to the end. I respect him because I think that he is a genuine man who honestly believes everything that he says. I don't think that his motives are impure in that he is simply rallying Blacks and members of the democratic party for his own personal gain. And for that, I do respect him.

However, I completely disagree with his arguments and with his approach. In a recent article in the Darthmouth Online Al Sharpton addresses the Bush administration and its inadequacies. The article mentions that Sharpton's remarks trail closely behind the upcoming MLK holiday. I find that personally disturbing for two reasons: 1) MLK never wanted to enforce a racial divide and 2) MLK represented positive empowerment of the people. Al Sharpton has stomped on both of these issues by bitterly reminding people of the past rather than invoking them to change the future.

For anyone to still complain about the response to Katrina is absurd to me. There are other issues that these survivors have to deal with, and placing the blame is not one of them. Sharpton brought up the infamous Liberal Trump Card WMD in Iraq. But what so many people fail to realize is that "[Iraq] Confirmed to UN in 1995 that it had a clandestine nuclear weapons scheme following revelations by Saddam Hussein's brother-in-law who had defected."

I give no credibility to arguments that simply criticize and point out inadequacies because such arguments do not aid the development of our nation. What we need to do as a nation - as patriots to the United States - is recognize our shortcomings and mistakes, correct them, and set up infrastructures that will keep such from reoccurring.

5 Comments:

At 4:18 PM, Blogger None said...

"What we need to do as a nation - as patriots to the United States - is recognize our shortcomings and mistakes, correct them, and set up infrastructures that will keep such from reoccurring."

100% on the same side of that one.

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Goat said...

Hey william add your name to the list at Truth Laid Bear; http://www.truthlaidbear.com/archives/2006/01/13/an_appeal_from_centerright_bloggers.php

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger Goat said...

I like Al as well for the same reasons, he can be a real hoot even when slightly off kimber. He is at least outspoken and semi-genuine. The only problem facing a black man today is getting over the DNC and its repressive tactics. I would love to see the black community rise above and blow apart the stereotyping it is fettered with. William, go for it, the dream awaits , you just have to seek it as I do.

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger William said...

Goat

Your comments are so encouraging. I'll look over that site and then add my name to it as soon as I get a moment.

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger Poison Pero said...

Al's a joker.

The Tawana Brawley case was more than enough for me to realize he's nothing but a race shuckster.

He may be better than Jesse, but that's setting the bar pretty low.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home